6 different style stones for perfect pizza
Cooking pizza from scratch at home is becoming more and more popular because it leaves you free to experiment and create your favorite pizza; plus, it is less expensive than ordering from a place.
A good pizza stone improves your pizza game because it is thoroughly heated before the pizza is placed upon it; hence, the crust gets nice and crispy.
They are typically made of cordierite, which is a resistant material that disperses heat evenly and withstands really high temperatures; but they can also be made of other materials, such as ceramic, cast iron, and steel.
When selecting a pizza stone you should look for products that will work in your oven and your grill; have long durability, and will deliver a restaurant-worthy pizza.
Best pizza stones in different categories
1. Solido Rectangular 14" x 16" Stone
#1 Pizza Stone – Baking Stone. SOLIDO Rectangular 14″x16″ – Perfect for Oven, BBQ and Grill
- PERFECT FOR PIZZA, BREAD, COOKIES. Through incredible extensive testing and trying, we know you’ll get superb results every single time. Be ready to blow away your friends and family with AWESOME pizza.
- A MATCH FOR YOUR OVEN, BBQ, OR GRILL. Easily beating every round pizza stone or pizza pan, this baking stone has a bigger surface area, yet still fits all standard ovens.
- EVERY BITE IS PERFECTION. Our EXCLUSIVE heat spiral heats your Solido pizza stone faster and stores heat in the center. This means you’ll cook the toppings in the middle just as deeply and flavorful as the ones on the edges. And yes: works for ready-made frozen pizza as well!
Things We Love
- A perfect fit. Its dimensions (14” by 16”) fit all standard ovens and are also perfect for BBQ or grill.
- Rectangular surface. The rectangular shape gives it a larger cooking surface over round pizza pans or stones. Buyers pointed out that it is large enough to bake 2 round loaves of bread.
- Heat spiral. The spiral at the bottom heats up faster than average stones and retains more heat in the center, resulting in cooking the toppings in the middle as deeply and flavorful as the ones on the edges.
- Great results for many foods. Besides making perfect pizza on it, you will get super results when making your favorite cookies or bread.
- Instructions and recipes. Customers like the fact that it comes with tried-and-tested- recipes, and all the support and instructions.
- It withstands up to 2000F. The pizza stone can handle extremely high temperatures, which is way higher than you could ever fire a BBQ or grill.
What’s Not to Like
- Heavy duty. Some users have described it as a little heavier than they wished for; on the other hand, this has given them more confidence in the product.
The product works perfectly on the oven, BBQ, or grill. It also has a large surface and its heat spiral design makes it cook faster and evenly. Even though it is made from Cordierite stone, this model does not have negative reviews about odors or acrid smells; however, it is considered too heavy for some.
2. Pizzacraft 16.5" Round Pizza Stone PC9898
Pizzacraft 16.5″ Round ThermaBond Baking/Pizza Stone – for Oven or Grill – PC9898
- Make and bake your favorite pizza in your oven or on your grill
- Made of 100% all-natural FDA-safe Thermabond material, thermal shock resistant
- Homemade breads, pastries, even frozen pizzas cook evenly on the stone surface
Things We Love
- For the oven or the grill. You can make or bake your favorite pizza in both your oven and your grill.
- No seasoning. There is no need to condition the stone; hence, the maintenance is very simple.
- No hot spots. Users have remarked that the stone eliminates hot spots while cooking, producing a uniformly browned crust.
- Thermal shock resistant. Since it’s made of 100% all-natural FDA-safe Thermabond material, it withstands rapid changes in temperature. Customers have stated that cold foods can be placed on the hot stone with no risk of shattering.
- Large surface. It’s 16.5’’ are perfect to fit a large pizza or two small ones.
- Easy to clean. Don’t ever use soap. All you need to clean it is a non-abrasive scrubber and hot water.
What’s Not to Like
- Acrid smell. There is some negative feedback in regards to a smell emitted by the stone after it’s been heated over 500F. The smell has been described as a strong chemical odor.
- Heavyweight. Fewer negative reviews remarked that thinner stones take less time to come to temperature.
The stone is great for pizza and other foods, such as baguettes or pastries. It is thermal shock resistant and does not require any seasoning or conditioning, so perfect pizza is only minutes away. However, the stone leaves an acrid smell after being heated over 500F – as most cordierite’s stones do.
3. Rocksheat Pizza Stone 12" x 15" Rectangular Stone
Pizza Stone 12″ x 15″ Rectangular Baking & Grilling Stone
- PIZZERIA QUALITY PIZZAS AT HOME ANY TIME. You can easily get pizzeria quality pizza in the comfort of your home. In order for you to have an optimal experience of cooking, it distributes heat evenly, provides you a crispy color crust that you always wanted. This stone is not only for making pizzas but can also be used to bake cookies, bread, biscuits and much more. You can even heat ready-made pizzas for better results.
- 1400℉ RESISTANCE AND ROBUST THERMAL STABILITY. It is resilient for many years and will not disrupt under 1400℉ when used normally. It can tolerate an implausible amount of heat.
- INNOVATIVE DOUBLE-FACED BUILT-IN HANDLES DESIGN. It has double-faced with handles that are built-in and is designed for convenience. It helps to save space. It is designed in such a practical way which makes transferring easier. One ROCKSHEAT built-in handled stone acts as two normal handled ones.
Things to Love
- Versatile. Besides getting pizzeria quality pizza, you can also make cookies, bread, biscuits, and more.
- Resists high temperatures. It can tolerate an implausible amount of heat – it will not disrupt under 1400℉ when used normally.
- Perfect thickness. Buyers like the thickness of this stone (0.63’’) because it does not have needless weight and the preheat time is way less when compared to thicker stones.
- Convenient design. It has double-faced with handles that are built-in to save space; plus, customers have reported that this design makes transferring easier.
- Use it in your oven or grill. The product is oven safe, can be used on a grill directly or used as a heat deflector.
What’s Not to Like
- Not a nonstick material. Even though it is known that cordierite is not a nonstick material, there were many reports about how the food stuck in this stone. Keep in mind that this product can’t be seasoned with oil or used oil on it directly. You should use parchment baking paper or baking sheet when you bake pastries or cookies. For pizza; sprinkle flour before putting the dough on it, and then transfer the pizza to the hot stone.
This product acts as a professional brick oven as it distributes heat evenly for an optimal cooking experience. Users have stated that pizzas get the perfect brown crispy crust that they always crave for. The design is very convenient for easy maneuvering and it is thermal shock resistant. Regarding negative reviews, some reported the product’s lack of nonsticking properties. Keep in mind that cordierite is not a nonstick material, so you should follow the proper instructions to avoid the food sticking to it.
4. Cuisinart Alfrescomore Pizza Grilling Stone
Cuisinart CPS-013 Alfrescamore Pizza Grilling Stone
- 13″ DIAMETER: At 13″, this pizza stone will allow you to make a variety of different size pizzas. You can use this stone whether you want to make a pizza for the whole family or your own personal pie.
- CORDIERITE STONE COMPOSITION: Cordierite is a durable stone-like material that will not crack in extreme heat or cold, and resists thermal shock and high heat better than ceramic.
- PERFECT FOR ANY BAKED GOOD: Besides baking pizza, the grilling stone is perfect for baking calzones, breads, and desserts.
Things We Love
- Resists thermal shock. Cordierite is a durable stone-like material that will not crack in extreme heat or cold and resists thermal shock and high heat better than ceramic.
- Bake many foods. Besides baking great pizza; the stone is perfect for baking calzones, bread, and many desserts.
- Perfect fit for any grill. The 13” diameter makes it a perfect fit for almost all grills. The grilling stone can be used in almost every oven as well.
- Budget option. Many users have indicated that the stone offers great quality for a very affordable price.
What’s Not to Like
- Thin. Some buyers expected the stone to be thicker to feel more confident about the product; however, the product is approximately 1/4” thick, which has been described as thick enough for most customers.
- Pizza peel. The product includes a pizza peel and cutter that have been reported as non-quality items by most users.
Cuisinart is a reliable brand and most users have recommended this stone because it offers great quality for its price. It withstands the high temperatures of an open flame and resists thermal shock better than ceramic. On the downside, it is not the thickest stone and the tools that come with it (pizza peel and cutter) are not the best quality.
5. NerdChef Steel Stone
NerdChef Steel Stone – High-Performance Baking Surface for Pizza
- 20x higher conductivity than ceramic baking stones and twice the heat capacity. This lets it send much more heat energy to your crust so you can get the great performance of a 1000F oven in a home oven at 450F.
- Gorgeous crusts, better blistering, and faster cook times.
- Low-friction surface: textured, sanded smooth, seasoned with flaxseed oil.
Things we love
- High conductivity. It has 20x higher conductivity than ceramic baking stones and twice the heat capacity.
- Faster cook times. It sends much more heat energy to the crust, which gives you the performance of a 1000F oven in a home oven at half the temperature.
- Easy to handle. Even though steel is heavy and can be hard to handle, the stone has been designed with finger holes to make it easier to move; plus, you can hang it on a wall.
- Long durability. It’s made of solid, unbreakable steel. Users have stated that the product can last for a lifetime.
- Large size. The measures of the stone are 16″ x 14.25″ x .375″, which are perfect to fit a medium pizza or two small ones.
What’s not to like
- Very heavy. The heavier the steel stone, the more heat it can hold and transfer to your pizza; however, negative feedback has indicated that the item is too heavy and that you need to be very careful in not dropping it because you could get seriously hurt.
- Preheating time. It takes a long time to preheat the steel, which is why buyers have stated that if you plan to use this to cook frozen pizza on or are impatient, this item probably will not be very useful to you. But if you can plan ahead and have a little patience, the reward will be worth it.
- Pricey. The stone can be out of budget for some; but if you can afford it, we definitely recommend it.
Being a steel stone, it is heavy and takes longer time to preheat than normal; however, the majority of users have described it as an excellent product to make pizza with, due to its high conductivity and heat capacity. Plus; it is an item that will last you for life, so it’s worth the investment.
6. Heritage Black 15-inch Ceramic Pizza Stone
Things We Love
- Doesn’t stain. It will not stain from grease or burnt crust and washes to new condition every time.
- Odorless. The stone does not smoke and will keep your pizza tasting great and your home smelling good.
- Durable. Most buyers have recommended this product to anyone who’s looking for a long-lasting item.
- Pizza and more. Customers have stated that making pizza on it is obligatory since the cooking is fast and results are delicious; but they also have used it for their favorite biscuits, cinnamon rolls, and bread.
- Effortless cleaning. Many buyers have remarked that its surface is very smooth and with the black topcoat, the use of soap is possible for easy cleaning.
What’s Not to Like
- Defective product. Some users received their stone cracked and even though they got a replacement due to the lifetime guarantee, they lost confidence in the item’s long term durability.
The Heritage Black Ceramic stone is one of the best-reviewed ceramic stones because it cooks fast, it leaves neither fumes nor bad odors, and it’s easy to maintenance. On the downside, there is some negative feedback about the conditions of the shipped product.