Gozney Pizza Ovens: Roccbox, Stone Core and Black Edition
Best Overall: Roccbox
• Optimal heat retention – its steel layers and insulating jacket make it perfect for retaining heat.
• It reaches very high temperatures – it may take about 30 minutes to preheat the oven using propane.
• Cool-to-touch – the outer silicone jacket reduces the risk of getting burned that often comes with metal bodied ovens.
• Rapid assembly – it is as easy as unboxing, hooking it up to a standard Propane LPG patio gas bottle, and ready to use.
• Inbuilt thermometer – unlike some ovens, the Roccbox comes with a thermometer.
• Gas or wood fueled – if you like your pizza with a smoky flavor, you have the option to buy a detachable wood burner; many users have pointed out that it is tricky to use, and we will talk about this further.
Gozney is an English company that was first called The Stone Bake Oven Company. It was created in 2010 by Tom Gozney, who designed the first portable, insulated stone floor oven.
The company’s most popular home oven is the Gozney Roccbox, which has a 5-year warranty if you register your product with Gozney within 60 days of your purchase.
Two other home ovens are only available in the UK – the Black Edition and the Stone Core – but they will be available in America very soon.
1. Best Portable Pizza Oven: Roccbox
Roccbox is a gas and wood-fired portable pizza oven for cooking 12’’ pizzas in only 60 seconds. The oven heats up on propane in about 30 minutes and reaches temperatures up to 950°F/500°C to deliver amazing Neapolitan pizzas. You also have the option to purchase a detachable wood burner separately and use wood as a fuel source (but apparently, the gas system works better). So if you are looking for a portable outdoor oven that bakes pizza after pizza in little time, the Roccbox has amazing cooking results and features; however, we can’t highly recommend the wood burner because it has much negative feedback.
- Optimal heat retention – its steel layers and insulating jacket make it perfect for retaining heat. Buyers state that they bake many pizzas in little time without having to wait between pizzas to let the pizza stone heat up again.
- It reaches very high temperatures – you may know that the hotter the oven is, the better the pizza will be; it may take about 30 minutes to preheat the oven using propane, but then, pizzas will be coming in and out in no time.
- Cool-to-touch – the outer silicone jacket reduces the risk of getting burned that often comes with metal bodied ovens. Besides being a safe touch, this feature also helps to insulate the oven core.
- Portability – the oven dimensions are 16.3 x 21 x 18.6” and it weighs 45lb (20,4kg). Some users have shared that it can be difficult to transport; however, you can fold the legs away and twist off the burner to make it easier to take it to your backyard. For longer distances, users remark that you won’t have a problem transporting it by car, as it is easy to fit in.
- Rapid assembly – it is as easy as unboxing, hooking it up to a standard Propane LPG patio gas bottle, and ready to use.
- Includes a pizza peel and a guide book – you will receive a pizza peel along with your purchase; also, you will find a manual with all the instructions you may need to shorten the learning curve.
- Inbuilt thermometer – unlike some ovens, the Roccbox comes with a thermometer. Customers find this appealing since it is perfect to know the exact temperature of your oven.
- Two-color options – you can select among green and grey; people’s favorite is the green model.
- Gas or wood fueled – if you like your pizza with a smoky flavor, you have the option to buy a detachable wood burner; many users have pointed out that it is tricky to use, and we will talk about this further.
You Should Also Know
- It is not compatible with natural gas – many people had this question when looking for the oven; it only runs on propane gas.
- Wood system is not recommended – the majority of buyers pointed out that it’s difficult to reach top temperatures with wood only, and that you have to add many chunks of wood to get there. A good option is to preheat the oven with propane gas and finish the pizzas with wood. However, some buyers preferred buying a less expensive gas-powered oven and sticking a lump of wood at the back, for adding that wood smoky flavor.
Our Score: 4.6 out of 5
2. Stone Core
The stone core is available in four sizes, leaves the aesthetics to your preference and it is coming soon to America. If you want to impress your family and guests and create a functional outdoor kitchen, this is a pricey but worthy oven to have. It is designed to be inside an oven enclosure, and you can fuel it with wood or gas – both propane and natural. Keep in mind that this is not a portable oven, and it is quite expensive.
- Easy to assemble – with Gozney Rapid Install™, you can carry each segment of it through a doorway for easy home or garden access. To assemble the oven, simply slot the segments together, and you will be done within hours.
- You are the designer – whether you prefer a traditional look, Italian style or something more modern, the design of the oven is up to you.
- Versatility – you can fuel the oven with wood, gas, or both; also, gas options include propane and natural gas as well.
- Many pizza sizes – the Stone Core is available in four different sizes, with capacity ranging from 3 to 6 pizzas. Select the most convenient size, depending on your outdoor space. The smallest model is 75 x 75’’ and weighs 661lb (300kg); the largest is 125 x 100’’ and weighs 1609lb (730 kg).
- Temperature control – you may control the temperature to cook a diverse range of dishes, not only pizzas.
- Cast iron enameled oven door – it allows for close-door cooking and slow roasting due to optimal residual heat retention.
- Durability – the cast iron fascia is encased with a reinforced render that encloses a high-density refractory dome and oven floor – it has been built to last. The oven has a 3-year warranty from the date of original purchase.
You Should Also Know
- It is not portable – it is meant to be inside an oven enclosure in the outdoor space of your home. If you are looking for a portable oven, you should check the Roccbox oven.
- Expensive – the oven is beyond many people’s budgets, but if what you are looking for is an oven that delivers restaurant-grade pizzas for a large number of people, and you can afford it, there is little reason not to buy it.
Our Score: 4.8 out of 5
3. Black Edition
The Black Edition is a commercial-grade oven, available in gas and wood-fired. It comes in four sizes, and it’s perfect to cook like a professional. Besides pizzas, you can bake many foods and even leave dishes slowly cooking overnight. At the bare minimum, you will be able to fit three 12’’ pizzas at the same, so this oven is perfect for a pizza party. If you love restaurant-quality foods and are willing to invest in your backyard, this oven may be a great option for you.
- It assembles within a day – to assemble the oven, slot the segments together; you don’t need a specialist trade.
- Dual fuel – you can choose either gas (propane or natural) or traditional wood for a smoky flavor.
- Stainless steel flue vent – it allows an easy connection to the extraction system, exiting the upper center of the oven, enhancing aesthetics.
- Warranty – the oven comes with a 3-year warranty from the date of the original purchase.
- Smaller or larger pizzas – depending on the size of the oven you choose, you can fit from 3 to 6 pizzas of different sizes.
- Cooking results – the oven reaches up to 950°F/500°C; hence, pizzas come out perfectly even and crispy.
You Should Also Know
- It’s pricey – it might be out of many people’s budgets; however, if you are willing to spend that amount, you will be more than happy with your professional outdoor pizza oven. If you prefer getting something less expensive, you might be interested in the Gozney Roccbox.
Our Score: 4.8 out of 5